Saturday, August 25, 2012

Building Up

I've been running consistently this time for a few months. I can do 3.5 miles pretty easily now. It took a while to get there though.

My boyfriend and I started running together a few months ago. We started with 1 mile out and walked 1 mile back. We did this 3 days per week. Then we slowly increased the amount of running. Eventually we were running the full 2 miles. Over the next few weeks, we gradually built up to 2.5 and then 3 miles. We also added a 4th running day.

I am now up to 3.5 miles most days. Some days I just run 3 miles, and last week I started to add speed work. I'm really excited about getting faster now, and since I haven't done this in a long time, it's very important that I don't push myself too hard. I'm running 5 days per week - unless a commitment keeps me from a day, in which case I try to make it up over the weekend but am not upset with myself if I can't. When you have a sporadic Los Angeles schedule like I do, it's important to not beat yourself up over things you can't quite control.

Eventually, I will increase my distance again. One day, I'd like to run a half marathon and eventually a full marathon. For now, I'm going to see how I fare in a 5K. I can definitely do the distance, and I want to see if I can do it competitively!

No comments:

Post a Comment